MLRRC history timeline

CLUB HISTORY TIMELINE

  • 1947 Club forms and first layout begun in basement of founder's parents home.
  • 1949 Joshua Lionel Cowen grants permission for group to call itself LIONEL RAILROAD CLUB
  • 1958 Lionel Railroad Club basement layout opens to general public
  • 1965 Club begins activities with the Society of Model Engineers at MSOE
  • 1971 Particpates in first Milwaukee area "Trainfest" show sponsored by the local division of the National Model Railroad Association. 
  • 1972 Organizes first shopping center based model railroad show at Southgate Mall.
  • 1975 Club move's from founder's home to rented quarters at 7933 W. Burleigh St
  • 1976 Club incorporates in Wisconsin as a "not-for-profit" educational organization.
  • 1977 Holds first "Round Robin" tour of member's home layouts.
  • 1982 Club President organizes "Association of Model Railroad Clubs" (A.M.R.C) to promote and coordinate local model train shows.
  • 1984 Club moves from Burleigh Street to larger space at 10236 West Fond du Lac Avenue. Constructs and scenics a large layout for simultaneous operation of five trains.
  • 1996 First participation in local public television's annual fund drives.
  • 1987 First participation in local museum and zoo holidayexhibits.
  • 1998 Club receives 501(C)(3) tax-exempt status for all donations.
  • 2002 Club purchases and moves to a permanent location in New Berlin, Wisconsin.
  • 2007 Layout constructuion continues in new quarters with three large layouts, including a Standard Gauge loop and Hellgate Bridge. Club celebrates its' 60th Anniversary with various events throughout the year.
  • 2009 Acquired 500+ piece antique toy train collection.